Succession Planning and Implementation
Sustaining the Organization Through Focused Talent Management.
2016 dates and locations coming soon!
Who will lead your organization into the future? Have they been identified? Are they prepared to lead effectively in light of shifting trends, new business practices, and a more diverse employee population? How do you more precisely take action on creating current and long-term sustainability for your organization?
To better equip you to answer these questions, The University of Alabama has developed a two-day seminar that will be delivered by best-selling authors and best-practice business professionals William J. Rothwell and Dr. Robert K. Prescott. Join them as they delve into the creation and effective management of succession plans and talent management processes.
About the Program
The term “succession planning” has been used to describe a wide variety of activities that involve planning for key transitions in leadership within organizations. Researchers and practitioners alike are continually looking for ways to start or improve talent management programs, and to determine what to focus on in these types of programs and how to do it right. This research has shown that organizations with better operational results are more likely to have succession planning programs, yet only 40-65% of organizations have formal succession planning processes in place.
Many organizations are faced with the need to coordinate the start-up or improvement of a comprehensive succession management system and integrate it into a comprehensive talent management effort. However, they often wonder where to start and what to do. Leaders, managers, and entrepreneurs looking to develop key leadership teams in small, mid-size, large and family owned businesses will find this program valuable. Overall, those leaders wanting to ensure that effective talent management strategies are utilized in their business processes for sustained organizational performance should attend.
What Will You Learn?
You will learn to:
- Explain the need for talent management and succession management
- Review the essential components of a succession management system and plan for adding or revising components
- Determine whether you have top management support
- Link succession plans to HR plans and organizational strategy
- Select governing values and competencies to be developed
- Focus on the process of competency modeling as keys to succession management
- Identify the assessment methods to identify future potential
- Define key terms and review tools necessary in building succession management systems
- Describe a big-picture model governing talent management and succession management
- Explain how to implement a practical succession management and talent management program